Prior to purchasing something, the organization should check with the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations to determine if a Purchase Requisition is REQUIRED. If so, that is the only way the items can be purchased. The University cannot reimburse someone after the fact when the item should have been purchased through the Purchase Requisition. See below for more information.
Prior to purchasing any items, the student organization should confirm that it has the funds available and that this is a proper use of its budget as per the group’s budget request to the SGA (if applicable).
For purchasing items such as, but not limited to, clothing for the group as advertisement or to sell, printed items, novelty items, equipment, etc. from websites, catalogs, local or out of area vendors, the organization must complete the Request for Use of University Account Funds, . Next, a completed copy must be returned with the advisor’s signature to the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations, who will then process a purchase requisition PRIOR TO you placing an order. The correct procedure is as follows:
- Speak to the company to obtain a “quote” for the item but not to order the item. Quotes over a certain dollar amount may require bids from other companies.
- Complete a “Request for Use of University Account Funds” available in the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations.
- Have the president or treasurer and the advisor sign off on the form and return it to the Office of Student Activities.
- The Office of Student Activities will process the paperwork and have the Purchasing Department process a purchase requisition for the company and officially order your item(s).
- Once you have received the items, give an invoice or the packing slip (particularly for items shipped to you) to the Office of Student Activities. The office will notify the Purchasing Department to pay the vendor.
Two vendors in the area are on a system of Quick Orders with the University. These vendors are: Shoprite and K-Mart.
This means that the person making the purchase can present the Quick Order in lieu of money. The Request for Use of University Account Funds is available at the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations, as well as on the portal. The completed request, with president or treasure’s signature and advisor’s signature must be returned to the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations. The secretary will complete a Quick Order form for the organization. The purchaser takes the completed Quick Order to the local store. At checkout time the purchaser will leave the top copy of the Quick Order with the vendor and return all other copies and the receipt to the secretary in the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations for payment processing. Purchases are tax-exempt.
It is recommended that the organization check with the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations to determine the best way to purchase items. It is not recommended that students purchase items and then try to get reimbursed. Reimbursement requests will be turned down for any of the following reasons: if the item was supposed to be purchased through a purchase requisition, if there is not an original itemized receipt, if it is not proper use of organization funds per the SGA guidelines, if the organization does not have the money to pay for the reimbursement or if the president/treasurer and advisor did not agree to the reimbursement. It is always better to use the University quick order or purchase requisition system.
Failure of a student organization to return receipts and form copies to the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations and failure to notify Purchasing after receipt of merchandise will result in the loss of Quick Order/Purchase Requisition use.