Close Close

Programs of Study-OLD

The School of Social Work offers undergraduate and graduate options for students interested in helping vulnerable and oppressed people in a variety of settings and locations around the world.

Undergraduate Programs

Social Work (BSW)

Minor in Social Service

Undergraduates at Monmouth not majoring in social work have the option to complete a minor in social services. This minor consists of 16 credits and allows students to gain familiarity and perspective with social work practice and policy issues.

Monmouth undergraduates who complete the Social Services minor can use 12 credits towards the MSW degree at Monmouth. They can waive 12 credits of the 24 credits in the Generalist (500 level) requirements if their courses received a B or better. They get graduate credit for taking: SW223, SW342, SW326, SW341. To see the list of courses that are required for the social service minor, view the Curriculum Chart.

Graduate and Post-Master’s Certificate Programs

Social Work (MSW)

Post-Master’s Certificate in Play Therapy

Monmouth University offers a comprehensive, for credit, Post Master’s Certificate in Play Therapy. This program is designed to enhance the clinical practice of mental health professionals working with children and adolescents.

Doctoral Programs

Monmouth’s Doctor of Social Work (DSW) in Human Rights Leadership prepares you to be an agent of change at the executive level. You will learn to design, evaluate, and implement effective human rights programs and policies that positively impact individuals and communities. Our DSW features a practice-based curriculum that consists of 48-credits and is delivered online through synchronous courses.

Five-Year Baccalaureate/Master’s Programs

Monmouth offers a five-year path to a Master in Social Work. Complete your bachelor’s degree in social work at Monmouth, then take your fifth year to complete the MSW.


Certificate programs are a great way to expand your education and credentials, whether as a standalone course of study or in combination with a full degree program.