Purpose of the Peer Learning Assistant (PLA)
PLAs will provide a crucial link between the professor and first-year students in the First Year Seminar course. First Year Seminar is a Monmouth University General Education requirement and must be taken by all first-semester students with less than 18 credits.
All PLAs must attend our mandatory training on Friday, August 30th, 2019. PLAs will also be asked to complete online training modules and may be asked to attend additional training during the active semester.
Applicants must be currently enrolled students in good academic and disciplinary standing at Monmouth University. PLA candidates should possess a variety of qualities including, but not limited to:
- Familiarity with Monmouth University resources, services and campus
- University pride
- A desire to work with students, faculty and staff members
- A willingness to learn and mentor new students
- Problem-solving abilities/good stress management
- Exhibit leadership potential as well as good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of students
- NOTE: Resident Assistants (RAs) are not eligible to work as PLAs.
Please complete these three steps at your earliest convenience:
- First Year Seminar PLA Application
- Student Employment Application – Look for Job #8187 Student Help or 9030 Federal Work Study
Please reach out to Bea Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or if you’d like additional information about the PLA position.