- Current and retired members of participating unions, their spouses and their dependent children (as defined by IRS regulations). Note, grandchildren are not eligible unless the grandchild is a legal dependent (as defined by IRS regulations) of the union member.
- At least one year of continuous union membership by the applicant, applicant’s spouse or parent (if applicant is a dependent). The one year membership minimum must be satisfied by May 31, 2019.
- Participating union members from the U.S., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada are eligible.
- Union members do not have to purchase any Union Plus program product or participate in any Union Plus programs to apply for the scholarships and scholarship awards are not based upon participation in a Union Plus program.
- The applicant must be accepted into a U.S. accredited college or university, community college or technical or trade school at the time the award is issued. Awards must be used for the 2019 — 2020 school year.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible.
- Your application must be complete and received by 12 p.m. (Eastern Time) on Wednesday, January 31, 2019.
This is a competitive scholarship. Applicants are evaluated according to academic ability, social awareness, financial need and appreciation of labor. A GPA of 3.0 or higher is recommended. The required essays can account for up to half your total score. Scholarship applicants are judged by a committee of impartial post-secondary educators
Applications are available starting in mid-June, and a complete application must be received on or before 12:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) on January 31, 2019. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered.
Scholarship Award Amounts
Amounts range from $500 to $4,000. These one-time cash awards are for study beginning in the Fall of 2019. Students may re-apply each year.