We offer scholarships for college students, helping to free up funds so they can work on passion projects and explore new ideas. Whether you want to start a new business or participate in a humanitarian trip abroad, we want you to have the financial freedom to succeed. Our passion is to help every person, regardless of budget, afford the experience of visiting new places and expanding their horizons through travel. What’s yours?
2-year or 4-year undergraduate degree-seeking full-time students who are currently enrolled or with acceptance, or part-time undergraduate students with verifiable employment of 20+ hours/week.
$3,000 annual scholarship
How to Enter
No matter what pathway you ultimately take in life, being able to clearly communicate is an important skill. The ways in which people share information are changing, and we believe that ideas and enthusiasm are more important than format. As such, there are two different ways to apply:
- Write something — You can choose a casual blog-style or a more formal essay, and aim for ~1,000 words (if you need more, use them, if you don’t, please don’t feel like you need to fill pages). Either way, your grammar and punctuation should be impeccable. We’re all for relaxed formats and breaking rules to set the tone, but draw the line at “apostrophe abuse.”
- Make something — Writing is important, but there are other ways to get your point across. If you’d like to submit a video instead, that’s great. The same notes apply; a casual style is fine, but you’ll want to showcase crisp and clear communication skills. Please keep videos to under three minutes, and provide a written transcription.
With either format, please also include:
- Your name
- Your email address (please use your school email address)
- Your enrolled school
- Your major, and why you chose that branch of study (or what you’re leaning towards if undeclared)
The skills you develop in college can provide an amazing foundation for doing cool stuff in the world, but as with many things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. A desire to hustle, combined with strong financial responsibility, can enable incredible things.
So, we want to hear about the cool stuff you’d like to do. We’re big proponents of “giving forward”, and would like this scholarship to help propel others to do the same.
We’re not necessarily looking for something extravagant or grand; giving forward and sharing your talents with the world doesn’t have to be monumental. One Mile at a Time helps people achieve their aspirations and travel better, in a way that doesn’t break the bank. We’re not solving global problems (though we try and do our part to help where we can), but we are helping to educate, inform, and inspire.
Your passion may be leading you to certain branches of research, or to a career that enables you to pay the bills while you pursue your passion project on the side. It could lead to starting your own business, or becoming part of a massive team chipping away at a problem. Your passion needn’t be related to travel, though we, of course, think meeting new people and exploring new cultures provides a valuable perspective.
Please address all three points in your submission:
- What are you passionate about, and how can you leverage that enthusiasm to give forward as you go through the world?
- What skills do you have (or will develop in school) to enable you to do those things in a sustainable way?
- What steps are you taking to build healthy financial habits that will give you more flexibility after college?