Each year, New York Women in Communications — a 501(c)(3) — awards 15 to 20 scholarships to graduating high school seniors and undergraduate and graduate students who intend to pursue or further a career in communications. The Scholarship Application is open from mid-November to the last Friday of January. Each completed application is assessed by 2 different readers. Students who pass to the 2nd stage receive telephone interviews. Students who pass to the 3rd stage must attend an in-person interview in New York City. The Finalists are chosen after the in-person interviews.
Eligibility & Qualifications
- U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents who live in NY, NJ, CT, or PA
- High school seniors who are permanent residents of and attend a high school in one of these states and will graduate in 2018
- College undergraduate and graduate students who are permanent residents of one of these states
- Graduate students must also be members of New York Women in Communications in good standing (i.e., dues for the current year paid in full before applying- no exceptions)
NOTE: As long as they fulfill the permanent home residency requirements, applicants are eligible even if they attend or plan to attend an accredited U.S. college/university located outside of NY, NJ, CT, or PA . This includes participation in a communications-related semester or quarter abroad if still registered at an accredited college/university in the U.S.
- U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents who do not live in NY, NJ, CT, or PA but who are currently enrolled in a communications program at a college/university in New York state may apply.
An applicant must
- be majoring, planning to declare a major, or pursuing an advanced degree in a communications-related field at an accredited college/university in the U.S. Communications-related fields include, but are not limited to, advertising, broadcasting, communications, digital media, English, film, journalism, marketing, public relations, or publishing.
- have an overall GPA of 3.2 or better (or the recalculated high school equivalent of 87% or better)
Past scholarship winners who are reapplying must be NYWICI members in good standing (i.e., dues for the current year paid in full, if applicable). NOTE: No individual can receive the same named scholarship twice or more than two scholarships in total through NYWICI.
1. Watch our video, above.
2. Read the Eligibility and Qualifications page to make sure our program is right for you.
3. Read the Recipient Obligations page to be sure you could fulfill the requirements should you win a scholarship.
4. NYWICI awards both general scholarships and sponsored scholarships. Read through the list of Sponsored Scholarships to see if any are a good fit. Interested in a career in marketing, for example? We have a scholarship for that.
5. Complete the application by the deadline of midnight, January 26, 2018.
You will need:
- To fill out the online application.
- To attach a résumé.
- To attach an essay on one of our 2 our designated topics.
- To attach 2 letters of recommendations (one from a teacher and one from an employer for undergrads and grad students; 2 from teachers for high school seniors).
- To have your school send us your most recent transcript. This should be mailed to us at NYWICI Scholarships, 355 Lexington Ave., 15th Flr, NY, NY 10017