We are proud to offer “The Chris Wolf Scholarship” a digital signage scholarship for college students pursuing a career in the art and design industry. Our annual scholarship awards $1,500 to U.S. undergraduates majoring in Fine Arts, Graphic Design or a related field of study.
Applicants will be judged based on outstanding academic achievement (a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0) and submission of a design project accompanied by a 300-word essay.
Imagine you work for a company that manages mega malls and you’ve been tasked with displaying content on a big video wall (see examples of video walls here). The video wall is in landscape orientation and the aspect ratio is 16:9.
Select at least 3 content from the list below and design a digital poster with the content to be displayed on the video wall:
- Wayfinding Map or Mall Directory
- Social Media
- Schedule of Events (daily and/or weekly)
- Local Weather (temperature, conditions, 5 day forecast)
- Uber/Lyft Schedule times (example)
- Featured Stores/Promotions
- Animated GIFS to add motion and attract customers
- Clock and Date
The goal is to display the content in a way that’s easy to understand but still attractive. The ultimate goal is to engage with mall customers.
Use this opportunity to show your style, individuality, and creativity. The visual design and direction is up to you, but these criteria will be considered when selecting the winner of the scholarship:
- Clarity and Design Hierarchy: Each piece of information is easy to follow and understand. There is a clear focus of the design.
- Visual Cohesion: The elements of design are appealing and unified.
- Originality: Work does not feel derivative and shows the designer’s style and personality.
In addition to the design work, applicants must also submit a 300-word description of their work. This can include your thought process, understanding of the audience, the reasoning behind your choices, and which aspect of the design you are particularly proud of. Applicants should include a copyright statement stating the design project is THEIR intellectual property and should not be copied without their consent.