- AG Bell usually awards scholarships to about 15% of applicants – it’s highly competitive, so you should give us a strong understanding of who you are – make use of the essay questions and your letters of recommendation to really impress us!
- AG Bell Scholarships are for high-achieving students who have bilateral hearing loss that was diagnosed before age 4. You must be using Listening and Spoken Language as your primary communication mode.
- You must be attending a mainstream university and working toward a four-year undergraduate degree or a graduate degree.
- If you’re working on a graduate degree in law or public administration, don’t use this application. You should apply for the Nofer Scholarship which will open in February.
Here’s what you need to prepare:
- If you use hearing aids, you’ll need an unaided audiogram dated no earlier than March 1, 2017. You should use this to determine your Pure Tone Average which must be 55dB or higher (don’t worry, the formula to calculate PTA is in the application).
- If you use a cochlear implant, you meet the PTA requirement. Just include your recent CI programming report.
- You’ll need transcripts. For high school seniors, your transcript should include grades 9 through 11 and the first semester of your senior year. For college freshmen, you’ll need your final high school transcript and first semester of college. For everyone else, it’s college transcripts. Your unweighted GPA must be 3.25 or higher – if you’re from outside the United States, there are specific instructions in the application for you. If your school doesn’t use a 4.0 scale or doesn’t include your unweighted GPA on your transcript, you’ll need an official letter from the school explaining what your unweighted GPA would be. If your university only uses an online access format for transcripts, just set it up and upload the acknowledgment from your school in your application. The email address you’ll need to provide them is email@example.com.
- You’ll need to write an essay that you can upload – the prompts are in the application.
- You’ll need the name, telephone number and email address of your three recommenders. The application will send them a message with instructions on how to upload their letter of recommendation directly to us. It’s important that you provide this information early to give your recommenders time to write and upload their letters.