Skip to main content
COVID-19 Update: University offices are open but being staffed remotely. Classes will be conducted remotely for all summer sessions.

Family Guide

Residential Life

Residence hall living is a unique opportunity for students to gain experiences that complement their classroom learning. Students are expected to behave as adults and contribute to the spirit of their residence hall community. Such involvement is considered essential to personal development.

Maplewood Hall

How many first-year students reside on campus, and where will they live?

Approximately 930 first-year students will join our residential community this September as first-time college students. First-year and sophomore housing is guaranteed for students who submit the required enrollment and housing deposits and housing contract by the required deadline. For first-year students, the deadline is May 1. First-year students who submit their deposits and housing contract after May 1 may be placed on a housing wait list. First year students are assigned randomly to either a traditional corridor-style or suite-style residence hall.

Are residence halls* co-ed?

Yes. All residence halls are co-ed.

*The use of the term “residence halls” includes all University-owned and/or University-sponsored housing.

How many residence halls are there?

Currently, the University operates fourteen on-campus residence facilities: Elmwood, Pinewood, Cedar, Spruce, Willow, Laurel, Beechwood, Redwood, Oakwood, Maplewood, Mullaney, Hesse Hall, and the Great Lawn and Garden Apartments. Other nearby University-sponsored housing is available off campus at the University Bluffs and Pier Village. (available to juniors and seniors only).

When do resident students have to check in to the halls?

Every new student will receive a letter stating the time and place for check-in to the residence halls. Fall move-in typically occurs over Labor Day weekend.

Who are the Residential Life staff members?

The staff includes an associate vice president for Student Life, one assistant and two associate directors of Residential Life, and five professional area coordinators. Residential Life also specially selects undergraduate and graduate students as para-professional live-in staff members. These students work with and aid students, and provide support in the residence halls.

Who may reside in the Monmouth University residence halls?

Any registered, full-time degree-seeking undergraduate student with 12 active credits currently attending Monmouth University may apply for accommodations in a University residence hall. Students who are not taking courses during an academic session may not reside in the residence halls. All students must maintain 12 active credits throughout the academic year.

Can students reside in their rooms during vacation?

Students may only live on campus during these periods if they are enrolled in special courses (e.g., internships, student teaching) or if they participate in intercollegiate athletics. During vacation periods, some residence halls may be closed; therefore, temporary facilities may be used to house those residing on campus during breaks. Additionally, an intersession fee will be assessed to all students who remain in housing.

How are roommates assigned?

Students are assigned to halls/rooms randomly, based on the information provided by the student and space availability. We attempt to honor mutual requests for roommates that are received by May 1. The University is bound by federal civil rights laws and prohibited from making assignments on the basis of race, color, creed, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or disability. The University cannot, and will not, honor requests for room changes that violate federal laws against discrimination in these areas.

Are single rooms available to Monmouth University students?

Due to the increased demand for housing, single rooms are only available to students with documented special needs. All requests must be submitted to the Office of Disability Services by May 1.

What should I know about the residence hall contract?

All students who desire on-campus housing must complete an application for housing. Students are then granted or denied housing based upon availability of space and/or other factors that may govern the ability of the University to provide housing to an individual student. No student is assigned housing or may occupy a room without both signing a residence hall contract (electronically) and being accepted for on-campus housing. The University guarantees a student a housing assignment for the freshman and sophomore year. Out-of-state students are guaranteed a bed for all four years of their undergraduate experience. There is no specific guarantee as to a housing assignment on campus for junior and/or senior year. When all application and contract requirements are met, the room request will be processed. All residence hall contracts are null and void until all the above conditions and requirements are met and verified by a residential life administrator.

When are room and board payments due?

The University bills the student for room and board on a semester basis, as a convenience to the student. The fact that billing is handled in this manner does not permit the student, or parent, to cancel or withhold payment of any second semester room and board fee, and thereby break the contract with the University. Residence hall contracts are legal and binding in their entirety for the entire academic year, including payment of all fees, regardless of whether or not a student who makes payment occupies a room or eats meals. Once students are accepted into housing and assigned a room, they will be billed by the University for room and board payments on a semester basis.

What are the meal plans?

  • The Carte Blanche plus $50 Unlimited meals per semester plus $50 in declining dollars and five guest meal passes. Our best value! Designed for those students with busy schedules who spend most of their time on campus. This plan provides you with unlimited access into the dining hall, including all meals offered: breakfast, lunch, and dinner (as well as continuous dining for in-between dining and/or snacking needs), Monday through Friday, and brunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday. Stop in any time during the day! Each visit is covered by this plan.
  • The 220 Block plus $90 Any 220 meals per semester plus $90 in declining dollars and five guest meal passes. This plan is for those who are less likely to eat every meal on campus. The plan is supplemented with $90 in declining dollars.
  • The 190 Block plus $95 Any 190 meals per semester plus $95 in declining dollars and five guest meal passes. The 190 plan is designed for those with a lighter appetite who spend a part of their time off campus. The plan is supplemented with $95 in declining dollars.
  • The 100 Block plus $170 (Available for continuing students only)
    Any 100 meals per semester plus $170 in declining dollars and five guest meal passes. 
    Designed for students who spend significant time off campus with work schedules and student activities. This plan is supplemented with $170 in declining dollars.

Dining Hall

Are meal plans mandatory?

All students who live in a residence hall must purchase a resident meal plan. Only Garden, Great Lawn, Maplewood, University Bluffs, and Pier Village residents are exempt.

Is there a curfew for resident students?

There is no curfew for students in housing. However, residence halls are locked 24 hours a day and are therefore only accessible to residents.

What is the overnight visitation policy in the residence halls?

Overnight visitation in first-year halls is restricted to no more than two consecutive nights per week and four cumulative nights per month. Consent of the roommate is necessary. Failure to comply may result in a loss of privileges. Visitors must be escorted at all times by the hosts within the residence halls.

What is the alcohol/drug policy in the residence halls?

The University abides by the laws of the state of New Jersey concerning alcohol and drugs in residence halls. Students found to be using drugs illegally and/or drinking underage are subject to disciplinary proceedings and/or arrest. The consumption, possession, selling, or serving of alcoholic beverages in public places is prohibited unless authorized. The University sponsors drug and alcohol awareness programs on campus. Students are referred to counseling and drug and alcohol rehabilitation services if necessary. All first-year halls are dry; alcohol is prohibited. For more information regarding Monmouth’s alcohol and drug policies, please refer to the online Student Handbook.

Are refrigerators allowed in the residence halls?

One small refrigerator per student is permitted in each room (maximum size is 3.2 cubic feet).

Can my student bring a computer to the residence halls and get connected to the University’s network? Is there a fee?

Students can bring their own computers and be connected to the University’s network in the residence halls. Students will be responsible for all hardware costs for that connection. Students have access to all computer labs on campus, each fully equipped with access to the Internet. The University also has a wireless network with access points in many locations around campus. Additional information is available here .

Are cooking appliances permitted in the residence halls?

Students are permitted to cook only in designated kitchen or cooking areas. Students are prohibited by state law from cooking in their rooms or suites or other lounge areas, unless the room or area contains a complete kitchen. The possession of cooking appliances in student rooms is likewise prohibited by state fire and safety codes. In addition, cooking in rooms will set off fire alarms (smoke sensors) in rooms and throughout the building. Violations may result in students being cited by the fire marshal and can result in a summons to appear in court, as well as being subject to fines of up to $500. Additionally, the student will be charged under the Student Code of Conduct. A microwave is provided in the common area of each building.

Can students have cars?

On-campus resident parking for first-year students is very limited. Parking is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Resident first-year student parking typically fills by early March. Although students may think they would miss having their car while living on campus, the University makes every effort to ensure students are connected to, and engaged in, campus life and events.

First-year students may be required to park in designated lots. No resident student may park in the main campus parking lot between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The University police provides students with detailed parking information.

What about the care of rooms and buildings (i.e., students’ responsibility)?

Students are required to return their rooms to the status of cleanliness and general condition in which they found them at the beginning of their occupancy. Failure to do so can result in excessive damage charges and the cancellation of a student’s housing contract. Such charges are expensive and include removal of tape and posters from walls and repair, painting, or replacement of furnishings. Care and common sense should be exercised in decorating rooms, and a thorough cleaning at check-out time, including removal of all tape and cleaning of walls, is mandatory. Students are not permitted to put up shelving on walls or use nails to hang posters or other materials, as this damages the walls. The building of lofts is prohibited. Charges for these acts can run into hundreds of dollars. In addition, failure to follow proper check-out procedures will result in an improper check-out fine and/or cleaning charge for failure to clean the room properly at the end of the spring semester. Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms, while the facilities management staff cleans the common bathroom areas. Students are expected to aid in the control of damages in the common areas, since damages for which no one is found to be responsible are charged to all residents of the building.

Who is notified in emergencies or in cases of disciplinary action against a student?

If an emergency situation arises with regard to any student involving potential life-threatening or serious consequences to the health of a student, parents/guardians will, as a rule, be notified. However, parents should be aware of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1975 (FERPA). The University does not provide parents with information about the academic, disciplinary, or general status of students without the student’s express permission or request. If a student requests that such information be withheld from parents, the University is, in most cases, legally bound to honor the student’s request. Information covered under FERPA may be released to parents if a release form is completed by the student or if proof of dependency is furnished by the parent to the University. Parents may be notified if their son or daughter is involved in an incident involving alcohol or drugs. Additional information about FERPA is available online

Where is more information on policies, procedures, or other aspects concerning housing?

All policies, regulations, procedures, and information pertaining to University housing are outlined in detail in the residence hall contract, undergraduate catalog, student handbook, and residential life guidebook. You may also contact the Residential Life office at 732-571-3465 or by e-mail at, or visit the Residential Life Web site.

// //