Service Learning Faculty Fellow
Ph.D., Cleveland State University
M.A., SUNY College at Brockport
B.S., Excelsior College
- Regularly Taught Courses
- FY 101 Anthrozoology, Ethics, and Health (First Year Seminar)
HE 375 Health in Developing Countries
HE 376 Guatemala Public Health
PE 398 Adventure Education in Costa Rica
HE 260 Substance Use and Abuse
ED 378/578 Methods of Teaching Health Education
HE 485 Professional Seminar
Since 1999, Dr. Hirschler has taught over 170 college courses. He teaches two faculty directed international travel courses: Guatemala Public Health and Adventure Education in Costa Rica. Dr. Hirschler was Monmouth University's Faculty Director of Study Abroad (2011-2016), the Department Advising Coordinator (DAC) for the Health and PE department (2012-2016), and a United Nations DPI/NGO Monmouth University representative (2010-2016). He is a 2016-2017 Service Learning Faculty Fellow and Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES).
"Animals" First Year Seminar, 2015
Adventure Education in Costa Rica, 2016
Guatemala Public Health, 2016
- Scholarly Articles
- Hirschler, C., Hope, A. & Myers, J. (2015) Human papillomavirus and herpes: College students’ perceptions and experiences . American Journal of Sexuality Education, Accepted for publication September 4, 2015.
- Hope, A., Hirschler, C., & Konopack, J. (2014) Perceptions of childhood obesity in parents of preschool-age children. ICAN: Infant, Child, & Adolescent Nutrition. 6, 2, 94-98. DOI: 10.1177/1941406414521661
- Hirschler, C. (2011). “What pushed me over the edge was a deer hunter”: Being vegan in North America. Society and Animals, 19, 156-174. DOI: 10.1163/156853011X562999
- Popular Press
- Hirschler, C. (2018). Nursing homes: Good intentions, sad realities.American Nurse Today.
- Hirschler, C. (2015). How ‘sustainable’ universities can decrease the carbon footprint of study abroad programs.One Green Planet.
- Hirschler, C. & Fasano, G. (2014). What we can do to create healthier campuses.One Green Planet.
- Hirschler, C. (2012). Essay on how “The Apprentice” prompted a change in a professor’s requirements. Inside Higher Ed.
- Hirschler, C. (2012). “Following his own beat.” Z-Life.
- Hirschler, C. (2012). When a model of health develops cancer. One Green Planet.
- Hirschler, C. (2012). Contemplating collapse: The importance of making green resolutions. One Green Planet.
- Hirschler, C. (2012). Honoring veterans throughout the year: Red, white, blue, and green.One Green Planet.
- Hirschler, C. (2011). What if her grandmother really did die?The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Presentations/Invited Talks
- Hirschler, C. & Conchar, M. (2019). Optimizing FYS via service learning: Student/PLA, partner, and faculty perspectives. 38th Annual Conference on The First-Year Experience. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Hirschler, C, Kartoshkina, Y., & Schreffler, A. (2018), Faculty-Led Courses: Transformation Via High-Impact Practices, NAFSA Conference
- Garcia, N., Nardozzi, C., Evans, S., & Hirschler. C. (2018) Taking it to the next level: Making the most out of your student ambassador team. The Forum on Education Abroad, 14th Annual Conference.
- Hirschler, C. & Espiritu, K. (2018). Administering High Impact, Faculty-Led International Travel Courses, 35th Academic Chairpersons Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Hirschler, C. (2017) Keynote: Connecting the Dots: Plant-based Nutrition and Public Health. New Jersey Society for Public Health Education (NJSOPHE) Mid-Year Meeting, Piscataway Township, NJ.
- Hirschler, C. & Waldau, P. (2017) Curating Conscious Education: Bioethics in Academia. Ivy League Vegan Conference. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- Hoon, W. & Hirschler, C. (2017). Leveraging Technology for the Recruitment of Students and Faculty. 34th Academic Chairpersons Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Konopack, J. F., & Hirschler, C. (2017). Founding Chair, Meet New Chair: Collaborating Through Chair Successions. 34th Academic Chairpersons Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- 2016, First Year Seminar Faculty Address Campus Sexual Assault, 35th Annual Conference on The First-Year Experience.
- 2015, Effective Methods for Delivering Wellness Education. National Wellness Conference.
- 2015, Hirschler, C., Hutchinson, C., Rajagopal, R., & Kartoshkina, Y.: Faculty-led service learning: Optimizing student and host community members’ experience. NAFSA Conference.
- 2014, Hirschler, C., Espiritu, K., & Troy, S. Best Practices for Developing and Supporting Faculty-Directed Programs. NAFSA Conference.
- 2014, Creating a world of wellness: Becoming “solutionnaries” through global education and service learning. National Wellness Conference.
- 2014, Optimizing the 8 dimensions of wellness through plant-based nutrition, National Wellness Conference.
- 2013, Securing wellness-related employment. National Wellness Conference.
- 2013, Raised on a vegetarian or vegan diet: Parents’ and adult children’s perspectives. Qualitative Health Research Conference.
- 2012, Creating YouTube videos that promote wellness., National Wellness Conference.
- 2012, Required student-professor meetings for student presentations, West Long Branch, NJ. SENCER Regional Conference.
- 2011, Hirschler, C. & Jannone. L., HPV and HSV: Students Share Lessons for Health Professionals. Vancouver, Canada. Qualitative Health Research Conference.
- 2011, Promoting wellness in developing countries. National Wellness Conference.
- 2011, Become a filmmaker: Creating and promoting effective advising videos. Denver, CO. The National Academic Advising Association Annual Conference.
- 2011, Poster, Design of a Course in Sustainable Food Production for Non-Science Majors at Monmouth University. Kucharczyk, R., Daneshgar, P., Hirschler, C. A., MacDonald, T., & Duckett, C. Poster. Indianapolis, IN. SENCER Summer Institute.
- 2011, Hirschler, C., & Konopack, J. F. Understanding Risk and Return on Investment. Colorado Springs, CO. Art and Science of Health Promotion Conference.
- 2011, Hirschler, C., Konopack, J. F., & Hope, A. Harnessing Online Videos, Podcasts, and Other Web 2.0 Tools in Health Promotion. Colorado Springs, CO. Art and Science of Health Promotion Conference.
- 2010, Oral Presentation, Vegan diets: Social challenges, spiritual benefits, and environmental implications. Geneva, Switzerland. International Union for Health Promotion and Education Conference.
- 2010, Hirschler, C., & Konopack, J. F., & Beric, B. Electronic poster, Conceptualizing the future of global nutrition and physical activity promotion. Geneva, Switzerland. International Union for Health Promotion and Education Conference.