Skip to main content


Student Advising

As a Communication Major, your academic advisor provides comprehensive guidance towards your graduation. It is critical for all students to schedule an appointment with their designated academic advisor prior to each semester course registration. In addition to the core courses, the department is also featuring several diverse special topics classes. Please see your advisor about additional information.


This electronic feature is designed to aid students in academic planning. WEBstudent cannot serve as a substitute for face-to-face academic advising. Personal academic information is available remotely through the office of registration and records at WEBstudent.

Current features of WebAdvisor include:

  • Search for classes
  • My class schedule
  • Grades
  • Grade point average
  • Grade point average by term
  • Transcript
  • Academic Audit (unofficial)

Graduation Audit

Once you have applied to graduate via e-forms and receive your Graduation Audit, make an appointment to review your audit with your advisor. There may be errors in your audit that can be easily fixed.

Writing Intensive Courses

Communication students must successfully complete two writing intensive courses as part of their general education requirements. Since all communication students must take CO 301 (which is listed below) one more of the following must be taken.

  • CO 215 News Writing
  • CO 291 Media Ethics
  • CO 301 Concepts of Communication
  • CO 340 Writing the Review
  • CO 342 Editorial Writing
  • CO 360 Feature Writing
  • CO 367 Media Analysis
  • CO 375 Television Criticism
  • CO 380 Organizational Communication
  • CO 383 Gender, Race, and Media

Experiential Education

As a Freshman or a Transfer – discuss your options for fulfilling the Experiential Education University requirement. We offer four experiential classes, Storytelling, Real People, Reel Stories, Advanced Radio Production, and Civic Journalism. Of course, internships, co-ops, and service learning also fulfill the Experiential Education requirement.


Please contact your advisor at any point during the school year to set up an appointment should you have any questions or concerns regarding your academic progress. Be sure to bring a copy of your audit to the meeting.

Check your audit to see if you are listed for the correct concentration (Radio/TV, PR/Journalism, or Applied Communication). If it is incorrect, the registrar will believe you have not completed all of the required courses within the major. Without being changed, they will not issue a diploma.

When working on registration, search WebAdvisor for courses carefully and make up several tentative schedules that will work for you before you meet with your advisor.

Several courses in our department require instructor approval for registration. They may not be marked this way on WebStudent. Check the flyers posted in the Communication building to determine what you need to do to be considered for admission into these courses.

Important Registration Information/FAQ’s

When can I look at the next academic year class offerings on WebStudent? The registrar will send out an e-mail during each spring term to alert students of when the following academic year offering for summer, fall, and spring are available for viewing.

How do I know when to register?

Look on WebStudent. “Registration Approvals and Blocks” will tell you your day and time to register as well as telling you of any blocks on your account. Your day and time to register is also listed at the top of the “Register/Remove Previously Selected Courses” page.

I’m supposed to register today and my advisor isn’t here. What do I do?

It is your responsibility to meet with your advisor before your day and time to register. Most communication advisors have sign-up sheets on their office doors. Pick a time, print out your audit and bring it to your meeting. If there is no sign-up sheet, contact your advisor via email to set up the appointment or come to their office hours. As the old saying goes, “lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.”

My advisor unblocked me but I’m still blocked. What do I do?

It is likely that you are administratively blocked (e.g. Bursar, Health Center, Police). If you have an administrative block, contact the office listed NOT your advisor. You will not be able to register until the block is cleared.

Can I take classes at another college?

Yes, but only electives or courses for your minor. You cannot take general education or major requirements away from MU. You need permission in advance from MU to take the course in order for the credit to transfer. This is done through E-forms. If you have attained Junior status (57+ credits) you cannot take classes at a 2-year institution. If you are within 32 credits of graduating, you must finish your credits at MU.

How many credits can I take in the Summer?

You can take a total of 12 credits over the whole summer. HOWEVER, the general rule is that you may only take one (1) course per 4 week session, and two (2) classes per 6 week session.

Can I register for fall  classes if I’m not taking the prerequisite until summer?

Yes, however you will need to register one semester at a time. Your best bet is to register for summer (submit), go back into the registration page and register for fall (submit), and then go back into the registration page and register for spring (submit). This way the computer system will be able to read the prerequisites.

Do I still have to take math if my score is high on the placement test?

Yes. All students must take Math. The placement test tells you which class to take. While MA 100 will fulfill your Gen Ed requirement, CO majors must take MA 105 in order to complete their program. MA 105 is a prerequisite for CO 292, Research Methods. Transfer students: If you have not transferred a math class, you must take the placement test within one year of entering MU.

I need to take CO 301, Comm Theory, but the prerequisites say I can’t. What’s up?

There are three prerequisites for CO 301: 1. Completion of CO 292 and EN 102; 2. Junior status (57+ completed credits); 3. 18 credits of communication courses. If you believe you have fulfilled these prerequisites and still CANNOT register for CO 301, contact Prof. Schmidt. Also, remember that CO 301 is the prerequisite for CO 491, Senior Seminar.

What’s a “course type” and where do I find them?

A “course type” is a designation given classes in a particular area in order to make searching for them faster and easier. If you know you need a particular type of course but don’t know what classes fall in that category, go to the course type pull down on the “search for classes” page and you will find general education course types (e.g. LIT, HS.SV, SS.SV) as well as CO course types for your program (e.g. RT, JP, CS). There are also course types for other departments and for some minors. Take a look.

What if the classes I need (program requirements) are closed when I register?

You have the choice of putting yourself on the waitlist for the class, or choosing another class. If there is enough demand for a course, the department MAY add another section of the course.


If you are interested in signing up for your first internship, register for CO 483. You need to arrange for an internship placement before the first day of classes.

If you need help, contact the department Career Advisors and Planner (CAPS): Professor Kristine Simoes.

Additionally, you might find the Ex Ed Web site helpful: Experiential Education.

Second internships can be arranged with individual faculty members.


Once again we will register for the entire school year this spring. That means you will not be sitting down with your advisor in November to work out a spring schedule. Students who have failed to register for the entire year take a big risk related to course availability.

In the spring, Priority Registration, for the next school year, begins on March 31. Check the Schedule of Courses to see when you are eligible to register based on the number of credits you have completed (not counting the courses you are taking now).


Free Electives

All communication students are encouraged to consider taking courses in other clusters and/or other majors in order to enhance their program of study. Majors who are concentrating on public relations are especially encouraged to take one or more of the marketing (BK) courses listed below.

Check the catalog to see how one or more of the following courses that are offered in departments all over the campus might work for you (as a free elective):

  • BM 250 Management Organizational Behavior
  • BM 404 Human Resources Management
  • BK 250 Principles of Marketing
  • BK 404 Consumer Behavior
  • BK 411 Principles of Advertising
  • CO 241 Introduction to Screen Studies
  • CO 243 History of the Motion Picture
  • TH 154 Acting I

Additionally, courses that are taught in the academic disciplines of sociology, anthropology, women’s studies, and information technology have been well received by many of our students. In the end, the choice is up to each individual student. Keep in mind that communication majors have more than 30 credits of free electives required for graduation. This allows each student to tailor a curriculum that best fits his or her career goals.

Check the course-offering information for prerequisite requirements.

Curriculum Substitution

Anyone who has taken a course in another cluster but has gotten permission for it to count as an elective in your cluster, must complete a curriculum substitution form with his or her advisor.

Department of Communication Minors

Review the registrar’s Web page to obtain information about our communication, journalism, and public relations minors. While communication majors cannot officially minor in these areas, many choose to take the 18 credits required for a particular minor as free electives.

Campus E-Mail

Communication students will need to check their campus e-mail for announcements (like new classes added or other advising issues that arise) and occasional reminders.

In keeping with technology and the need to access e-mail remotely, Webmail is available to Monmouth students. Webmail is a Web-based solution to access your Monmouth University e-mail. Webmail is simple to use. All you need is access to web browsing software such as Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Go to to access your campus messages. If you have questions regarding the use of Webmail contact the help desk at 732-571-3539 or via e-mail at (if you e-mail the help desk, be sure to include your student ID#)