• Please be advised that we had a power outage earlier this morning, because of this the university is closed for the day. Magill is open and operating on a normal schedule. Family weekend events for today are canceled, Saturday and Sunday's events will continue on schedule.

    Please check back here, on Facebook, or on Twitter for more updates.


Main Menu

  • Frequently Asked Questions


    How do I apply?

    Please contact the Office of Graduate Admission for additional information.

    What is required for admission?

    Admission requirements for the MS and MA can be found here.

    Does my undergraduate coursework meet the admission requirements?

    Admission to the Professional Counseling programs presumes that students possess a minimum of 12 undergraduate credits in psychology, including Personality Theory, Statistics, Abnormal Psychology, and Research Methods. Applicants who do not meet these requirements will be required to register for the necessary undergraduate courses.


    The Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is intended for those students who want to attain the highest-level master’s degree in the field. It was the first 60-credit degree in counseling made available in New Jersey, and is CACREP accredited for a master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling. The degree meets all of the educational requirements for the licensed professional counselor (LPC) license in New Jersey, and similarly it is the best choice for students who may plan to move to another state to obtain their LPC license.

    The 33-credit Master of Arts in Addiction Studies is intended for students seeking licensure as Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselors (LCADC) in New Jersey. The program prepares students to become addictions counselors who work with individuals, groups, couples, and families impacted by various types of substance use and addictive disorders. It is accredited by INCASE (International Coalition for Addiction Studies Education) and NASAC (National Addiction Studies Accreditation Commission).

    The Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling is an eighteen-credit program designed for students who are completing or have completed a CACREP-accredited Master's degree in counseling and are in need of additional hours to complete the educational requirements of the Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) licensure in NJ.

    Return to FAQ Menu


    I have taken some graduate college courses (but did not obtain a degree) in counseling, psychology, or education prior to entering Monmouth's MS. Can these courses be transferred into the MS? Can these courses be applied toward the requirements for my LPC license in New Jersey? 

    That depends. If the courses are very close in scope and content to our courses, a limited number may be allowed to be transferred toward the MS (up to 12 credits). These courses MUST be free-standing-that is, courses that were not applied to obtain any graduate degree, and proper paperwork to transfer these credits must be completed (please see your advisor). However, just because some of these courses may be accepted toward the MS, there is no guarantee that the NJ licensing board will allow the applicant to use these courses toward the LPC. Applicants must be especially aware that courses in any discipline other than counseling usually are not permitted to be applied toward the LPC license in NJ.

    Can I take more than 9 credits in a semester?

    Students may petition to take a credit overload, which requires approval of their advisor and the department chair. To request an override, students must complete a form available at the department office or at the end of this document. Overloads are approved following these criteria:

    1) Student must be full admit into the program, not conditional admit. Advisors will verify this when considering the request.

    2) Student must have completed at least 9 credits at Monmouth. Student must attach a transcript to verify meeting this requirement.

    3) In the credits completed in our program thus far, student attained a cumulative GPA of at least 3.7 before the request can be granted. Student must attach a transcript to verify meeting this requirement.

    4) Students will not be permitted to take more than 9 credits during any semester in which they are enrolled in a field placement course (practicum or internship). This includes the entire summer.

    5) In addition to meeting the above criteria, the advisor supports the student's request and the specific combination of 12 credits that are proposed by the student.

    How many independent studies can I take?

    Monmouth University policy allows up to 6 credits of independent study to be applied toward a graduate program. This generally means two 3-credit experiences. Monmouth University policy also limits students to one independent study during any one semester.

    Can an independent study be used in lieu of a course listed in the catalog?

    No, it may not. The Monmouth University Graduate Catalog specifically states that “Independent study courses permit a student to pursue a research project or guided readings in a subject area not substantially covered in the curriculum” (emphasis added). This specifically prohibits the use of independent studies to cover the content of courses currently listed in the catalog.

    How many credits do I need to have to take the NCE? Are there particular courses I need to take the NCE?

    It is recommended that you take the exam during the semester prior to graduation or the semester during which you plan to graduate. The content of the NCE is similar to the CPCE (comprehensive exam), so the best plan is to take the two exams during the same time period. The NCE is offered every April and October. The following courses/content areas are covered on the exam:

    Content Areas & Work Behaviors

    • Human Growth and Development:
    • PC 515: Human Development Through the Lifespan

    • Social and Cultural Foundations:
    • PC 529: Multicultural Counseling

    • Helping Relationships:
    • PC 525: Counseling Theory and Techniques

    • Group Work:
    • PC 550: Group Counseling

    • Career and Lifestyle Development:
    • PC 570: Career Counseling

    • Appraisal:
    • PC 506: Testing and Assessment in Counseling

    • Research and Program Evaluation:
    • PC 603: Research Methods in Counseling

    • Professional Orientation & Ethics:
    • PC 505: Clinical Mental Health Counseling

    How do I apply for the NCE? Do I have to take it at Monmouth University? Why does it cost more to take it here?

    In order to apply for the exam, you must complete a paper application and include a money order (NBCC does not accept other forms of payment). The applications can be found in the Department of Professional Counseling's main office. Notices will be sent out twice a year when the applications are available. You do not have to take the exam at Monmouth University. Completing the exam while still a student is beneficial for a couple of reasons:

    1. Because you are in a CACREP-accredited program, you will obtain a credential (NCC National Certified Counselor) upon completing and passing the exam. Applicants from non-CACREP programs must complete other requirements (which take several years) to obtain the credential. By choosing this route, the exam can be used for two purposes: to obtain the NCC credential and to be used as the licensure exam for the LPC license.
    2. Because the material found on the NCE and CPCE are similar, you can prepare for both exams at the same time. It costs more to take the exam at Monmouth because you are applying for certification (the fee for the NCC credential is included). If you take the exam at a later date through the licensure board, you will be using the exam only to meet licensure requirements.

    Return to FAQ Menu


    What are the benefits of obtaining the Master of Arts in Addiction Studies?

    The MA in Addiction Studies is intended for students seeking licensure as Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselors (LCADC) in New Jersey. The program prepares students to become addictions counselors who work with individuals, groups, couples, and families impacted by various types of substance use and addictive disorders. It is accredited by INCASE (International Coalition for Addiction Studies Education) and NASAC (National Addiction Studies Accreditation Commission).

    The Addiction Studies program prepares graduates to be professional counselors in a variety of settings:

    • Substance Abuse Treatment Agencies and Clinics
    • Addiction Rehabilitation Programs
    • Long-Term Treatment Facilities
    • Community Education Programs
    • Community Mental Health Centers

    Return to FAQ Menu


    After completing my studies, how do I become a licensed counselor?

    After completing the MS, students may apply to the state to seek licensure. The LAC (Licensed Associate Counselor) in New Jersey requires the passing of an examination and the required course work. After obtaining the LAC, you may apply for the LPC. The LPC requires supervised professional experience. Consult the state's Web site for more specific information: http://www.state.nj.us/oag/ca/proc/

    I am completing the practicum/internship, and I wonder whether any of these hours will count toward the experiential requirement (4500 hours) of the New Jersey LPC license.

    Hours accumulated during any field assignment can count toward the experiential requirement as long as you do not list the associated 595 or 680 courses in the 45 credits distributed in the nine categories for the license’s educational requirements.

    I have a prior master's degree in psychology. Based on that degree, am I potentially eligible for an LPC license in New Jersey?

    No. As of 2006, NJ requires that all applicants for the LPC must possess a master’s degree with the specific words “counselor” or “counseling” in the title of the degree awarded and the institution offering the degree shall state in the catalog or in another format acceptable to the Committee that the purpose of the graduate degree is to prepare students for the professional practice of counseling.

    Return to FAQ Menu


    Does the Master of Arts in Addiction Studies prepare me for obtaining the LCADC?

    Yes. The MA in Addiction Studies was developed to meet the educational requirements for the LCADC, a New Jersey state license. Since it's not possible to meet LCADC requirements within 30 credits, students in this track are required to complete 11 courses totaling 33 credits. The curriculum covers the ten core areas required for LCADC licensure in New Jersey. Because the licensing board is the final arbiter of your eligibility of licensure, each student must verify with the board that his/her studies are acceptable for licensure. All students in the program are assigned an academic advisor who will guide them in the licensure process. You must also have two years or 3000 hours of supervised experience working with substance use disorder clients. You must also pass a written national exam and an oral exam.

    Can I meet the requirements for the LCADC (Licensed Clinical Alcohol/Drug Counselor) in Monmouth’s Clinical Mental Health Counseling program?

    Yes, you can obtain an LCADC by taking specific electives. The LCADC is a state license (similar to the LPC). In order to qualify for licensure you must have a master’s degree in counseling and 270 hours of alcohol/drug specific coursework. You must also have two years or 3000 hours of supervised experience working with substance use disorder clients. You must also pass a written national exam and an oral exam. In order to complete the 270 hours in the program, you will need to take PC 540 Intro to Drug/Alcohol Abuse, PC 542 Treatment of Drug/Alcohol Abuse, PC 544 Advanced Addiction Counseling, PC 545 Psychopharmacology, and PC 543 Substance Awareness in the Schools (the other hours are derived from various courses that contain alcohol/drug related lectures, e.g. Psychopathology, Group Counseling, Crisis Intervention, Marriage & Couples Counseling, and Family Counseling, etc.).  

    Return to FAQ Menu


    When I graduate with a Master of Science (MS) degree, where would I work?

    Graduates will be prepared for employment in drug and alcohol counseling centers, rehabilitation clinics, human resource agencies, and various other mental health and health care settings where mental health counseling is needed. Also, students are academically prepared for licensing as a private practitioner in New Jersey.

    What’s the difference between a psychologist and a counselor? Can both professionals perform the same tasks?

    These are sister professions, both based on psychological principles, but requiring different degrees for independent practice. With the exception of school psychologists, who can practice (only within school settings) with a master’s degree, psychologists must generally obtain a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree (and a psychology license) to practice, while mental health counselors are eligible for licensure in NJ after completing a master’s degree (60 credits of graduate study are required). After licensure, psychologists generally perform a wide range of duties, including counseling/psychotherapy, psychological testing, and forensic work (like child custody evaluations), and some states allow psychologists who complete additional medical training to prescribe medications. Conversely, professional counselors are authorized to perform counseling/psychotherapy and limited-scope assessments (for example, as part of career counseling). There does seem to be a trend with counseling that focuses more on a strength-based wellness approach vs. the disorder focus. In addition, there are many psychological instruments that are only available to psychologists (such as intelligence tests, the MMPI, etc.).

    What’s the difference between social workers and mental health counselors?

    To engage in independent practice, both professions require a master’s degree with a similar amount of total credits. While licensees of both professions generally perform counseling/psychotherapy, social work practice is primarily based on the principles of social work, while mental health counseling is primarily based on psychological principles. The training of counselors also involves more focus on counseling theories and techniques and specific therapy approaches, whereas social workers focus on support systems available for people in need.

    Return to FAQ Menu