Hurricane Sandy Relief Project
MONETARY DONATIONS – Funds raised through events, tabling, fundraising, and other efforts will be used to aid in the recovery of New Jersey and the members of the MU community who need relief after this devastating storm. The money we raise will be donated to two funds:
- Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund, organized by Governor Chris Christie’s administration
- MU Sandy Relief Fund, which will benefit Monmouth University students, alumni, and employees who were impacted by Hurricane Sandy directly and who have submitted requests for assistance through a need-based application process
All of the online donations (100%) will be funneled to the MU Sandy Relief Fund. You may also send in donations to the MU Sandy Relief Fund in the form of checks. Please make checks payable to Monmouth University, and write "Hurricane Sandy Relief" in the check's memo line.
Send to the following address:
400 Cedar Avenue
West Long Branch, NJ 07764
ITEM DONATIONS – We ask that all non-monetary donation drives taking place at Monmouth University are coordinated through Hawks Fly Together for Relief. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to start a drive. Organizations that desire to have item-based donation efforts will be directed to work with the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office and the Monmouth County donation center at Thompson Park in Lincroft. Their Web site has contact information and items that residents of Monmouth County need. Items currently needed are:
- Personal hygiene products
- D and C batteries
- Work gloves and rubber gloves
- Rakes and shovels
- Heavy duty trash bags
- Mops, brooms, and sponges
- Hand sanitizer
- Dish detergent
- Laundry detergent
They DO NOT NEED bottled water, non-perishable food items, or clothing anymore.
The items we collect will be distributed to three sites:
- Holy Family Church – Hazlet
- Monmouth Park – Oceanport
- Circle Factory Outlet – Manasquan
More information regarding specific drives (including dates, on-campus drop-off locations, and specific items being collected) will be posted on the events page as it becomes available.
Please note: Monmouth University is not a drop-off location for item donations. However, we are here to help connect the university community with organizations who are collecting items. After groups receive approval to hold an item donation drive, they will be responsible for dropping off collected donations at the Thompson Park drop-off site.