• Military Education Benefit Information and Other Resources

    There are several military education benefits that are available to veterans, active-duty service members, and dependents and spouses of service members/veterans. Each military education benefit listed below provides you with general information regarding eligibility requirements. The information given does not guarantee eligibility for benefits. Any specific questions regarding military education benefits should be referred to the Department of Veteran Affairs. Their contact information and website are listed for you under Additional Resources.

    Military Education Benefits

    Post-9/11 GI Bill

    The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Department of Veterans Affairs is now accepting and processing applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

    To learn more and to submit an application, please visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.

    Yellow Ribbon Program

    For information about the Yellow Ribbon Program here at Monmouth University, please click here.

    Montgomery GI Bill—Active Duty (Chapter 30)

    The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.

    For more information, visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.

    Montgomery GI-Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

    The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

    Visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/ for more information.

    Reserve Educational Assistance Program

    (REAP or Chapter 1607)

    REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a new Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

    Visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/ for more information.

    Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

    VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985, and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the government. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

    Visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/ for more information.

    Educational Assistance Test Program

    Section 901 is an Educational Assistance Test Program created by the Department of Defense Authorization Act of 1981 (Public Law 96-342) to encourage enlistment and reenlistment in the Armed Forces. Benefits are available to individuals who entered on active duty after September 30, 1980, and before October 1, 1981, (or before October 1, 1982, if entry was under a delayed enlistment contract signed between September 30, 1980, and October 1, 1981).

    PLEASE NOTE: Although Public Law 96-342 established a beginning date for the test program as October 1, 1980, the military service departments did not start offering the test program to new enlistees until December 1, 1980.

    Air Force Eligibility Requirements for Section 901

    All three of the following criteria must have been met to establish eligibility for this benefit:

    • Must have enlisted between December 1, 1980, and September 30, 1981.
    • Enlistment must have been in one of the following Air Force Specialties: 20723, 20731, 20830, 46130, 46230A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, or Z, 46430, 81130
    • Enlistment must have taken place at one of the following locations: Beckley, WV; Buffalo, NY; Dallas, TX; Fargo, ND; Houston, TX; Jackson, MS; Louisville, KY; Memphis, TN; Omaha, NE; Philadelphia, PA; Seattle, WA; Sioux Falls, SD; or Syracuse, NY

    Visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/ for more information.

    National Call to Service Program

    This National Call to Service Incentive program requires a participant to perform a period of national service to be eligible for benefits. It is a Department of Defense program that is administered by VA.

    To learn more, visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.

    Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)

    The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The mission of VR&E is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VR&E offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

    Services that may be provided by VR&E include:

    • comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, interests, and needs
    • vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning
    • employment services such as job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance
    • assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives
    • if needed, training such as On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
    • if needed, post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
    • supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and referral
    • independent living services

    To learn more please visit benefits.va.gov/benefits/.

    Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

    DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

    To learn more about this assistance program please visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.

    New Jersey Army National Guard

    • Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)
    • Any accredited NJ Private or Accredited Out of State School
    • $250 per credit / $166 per quarter hour
    • Not to Exceed 100% of tuition
    • FY08 cap of $4,500 per solider

    Click on "Online Applications > Application for Federal Tuition"
    NJDMAVA Form 2171-R "NJARNG Request for Tuition Assistance"

    For more information, please go to www.state.nj.us/military/education/TA.htm

    Scholarship Sources

    Federal Financial Aid Information

    Federal financial aid is available to students who are in a degree-seeking or certificate program and have completed a Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). State aid may also be available to undergraduate New Jersey residents and will be based upon the FAFSA results. For more information regarding the FAFSA application process please click here.

    Types of Financial Aid 

    Please remember military bridge students are not eligible for federal financial aid while they are in provisional student status (first semester).

    NASFAA's Tip Sheet for Military and Veterans

    Shopping Sheet for Veterans and Dependents

    A shopping sheet provides costs for undergraduate resident and commuter students, average loan borrowing, general federal aid availability, and graduation and loan default rates. 

    A shopping sheet is available to students who qualify for military education benefits.  If you have not received a shopping sheet and would like one customized just for you, please contact the Financial Aid Office.  You will be asked to provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or other military documentation indicating your eligibility for benefits.


    Additional Resources

    Contact Information: 

    Jeffery Hood
    Coordinator for Veteran Services and Special Projects
    Location: Monmouth University Student Center, Second floor, Room 202d
    E-mail: jhood@monmouth.edu
    Phone: 732-263-5258 

    Tabitha Conlan
    Financial Aid Office
    Location: Wilson Hall room 108 (next to the Admission Office)
    E-mail: tconlan@monmouth.edu
    Phone: 732-263-5506

    Lakewood Vet Center
    1255 Route 70; Unit 32N, Parkway Seventy Plaza
    Lakewood, NJ 08701
    Phone: 732-905-0327
    Fax: 732-905-0329
    Web: http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/


    Phone Numbers:

    • Veterans Benefits: 1-800-827-1000
    • GI Bill: 1-888-442-4551


    Web Sites:

    Western Monmouth Habitat for Humanity

    • If you have at least a 30% service-related disability and are in need of suitable housing, Western Monmouth Habitat for Humanity invites you to partner with them for a home in western Monmouth County

    For more information: Call (732) 308-3400 or visit online at www.westmonhabitat.org